Eliminate Toenail Fungus
If you have toenail fungus, also known as onychomycosis (on-ih-koh-my-KOH-sisis), you want to get rid of it as quickly and painlessly as possible. But because toenail fungus is rooted under the toenail and the bacteria that cause the infection are everywhere, it can be extremely difficult to eliminate. PinPointe Footlaser Therapy is the first FDA-cleared laser for toenail fungus treatment and, with proper post-treatment attention, most cases can be treated in a single appointment.*
There are many at-home, over-the-counter, and prescription, topical, and oral remedies available, though many offer less than a 50% chance of eliminating the toenail fungus completely. Other laser therapies require ongoing treatment for up to a year, and some oral treatments can severely damage a person’s liver. Pinpointe FootLaser Therapy will eradicate most toenail fungus infections after just one treatment with no side effects. You’ll be able to resume your normal activities as soon as you leave our office.
While it may be only embarrassing for some people, toenail fungus can be a more urgent matter for those suffering from diabetes or who have a weakened immune system. In diabetics, nail fungal infections can lead to a risk of more serious complications like foot ulcers and gangrene, which can lead to amputation.
*More severe cases of toenail fungus may require follow-up visits for care.
What is PinPointe FootLaser
PinPointe Footlaser is the first light-based device to receive FDA clearance for Onychomycosis (toenail fungus) treatment and is recognized by industry leaders as the gold standard product and alternative procedure for those patients suffering from toenail fungus.
PinPointe Footlaser targets the fungus that lives in and under the toenail by passing laser light through the nail to target the fungus directly. It successfully gets rid of the damaging fungus without causing harm to the nail or the surrounding skin. While it is a highly effective treatment, and many patients report seeing an improvement after the procedure, the toenail will not become instantly clear at the time of the treatment. However, the laser treatment in conjunction with regular use of Dr. Yakel’s post-laser treatment kit, and common-sense precautions can have your toenails looking substantially healthier in just a few weeks. Because toenails grow slowly, it could take up to a year for your new, healthy toenail to grow out fully.
The procedure itself takes about 30 minutes and is virtually painless. (Some say they feel a warming sensation, and an isolated few say they feel a slight pinprick.) There is also no downtime after the procedure so you can resume your regular activity right after the treatment. If desired, you can even paint your nails. Your toenails will not become instantly clear after your treatment, but with regular use of the recommended post-treatment kit, you will see vastly clearer nails after just a few weeks. Because toenails grow so slowly, it could take up to a year for your healthy new nails to grow out fully.
We also offer personal shoe sterilizers for those who want to reduce the risk of reinfection by sanitizing their shoes between wearings.
How To Avoid Toenail Fungus Infections
- Wear shower shoes or flip-flops in warm, humid areas like public swimming pools, public showers, and locker rooms.
- If you visit nail salons, check that they are clean, licensed, and be sure the technician uses sterilized or single-use instruments. If you can, it’s always best to bring your own instruments as well as your own polish.
- Clean your nails thoroughly when you’re in the shower. Scrubbing with soap and water will help defend against fungal infections.
- Keep your toenails trimmed, but don’t cut your cuticles. They act as a barrier to keep bacteria out.
- Keep your feet dry. Be sure to pat them dry thoroughly after you finish in the shower.
- Choose socks that are breathable and wick moisture away from your feet and toes. Bacteria loves a warm and humid environment, so socks that trap warmth can be the perfect breeding ground for fungus.
- Protect your toes. Injuries to the nail bed or skin around the toenail create the perfect doorway for toenail fungus to take hold. Don’t rip off hangnails, and make sure your shoes fit well.
Give Us a Call Today
Nothing gives us more pleasure than helping people get back to doing what they love as quickly as possible. Our always-expanding list of advanced treatment options helps us achieve the fastest and safest possible results, for pros and weekend warriors alike.
If you want fast healing and relief for your chronic injuries, please call Dr. James Yakel and the Colorado Center for Podiatric Sports Medicine today at (720) 600-3380 to set up your appointment.