When you can’t make it to our office
We know it can be sometimes be a challenge to come in for appointments – even when you’re desperate for help. And the challenge has become especially difficult during the current COVID-19 pandemic that is impacting all of our lives.
At the same time, you really should get the relief and treatment you need as soon as reasonably possible.
Fortunately, we have a way to stay on top of managing your foot and ankle care when you are physically unable to come to our office, or prefer not to:
Whether you’re constrained by illness or quarantine, no transportation, scheduling conflicts, or any other reason, a telemedicine appointment may allow you to still receive expert insight and analysis from a foot and ankle specialist.
What is telemedicine?
Telemedicine is when our office uses video conferencing to provide clinical services to you, wherever you may be. An in-person visit is not required.
Essentially, this allows Dr. Yakel to conduct a visual inspection of your foot or ankle through video, communicate directly with you, and provide answers to questions – all while you remain in the comfort and safety of your own home.
At the Colorado Center for Podiatric Sports Medicine, we use Doxy.me as our telemedicine platform. We find it provides our patients with an easy experience.
Here’s how it works:
- You schedule a telemedicine appointment through our office.
- We send you a link to our virtual waiting room.
- You click on this link when it is time for your appointment (on the device you want to use), enter your name on the screen, and click “check in.”
And that’s it! When you check in, Dr. Yakel will see you are ready, and the call will begin when he is fully prepared as well.
Is telemedicine right for you?
Appointment types that work very well over telemedicine include:
- Initial inspections. Dr. Yakel can visually inspect your foot or ankle over video and give you a diagnosis and/or recommendations for the next steps.
- Check-up appointments. Dr. Yakel can examine how a wound is healing or talk with you about how a current treatment is going.
- Questions and advice. Have a question about your health care and need direct answers? Telemedicine is by far the easiest way to get them.
Our telemedicine appointments are ideal for anyone who must stay home, parents with responsibilities to their children, and individuals who don’t have transportation to get to our office. But these are not the only reasons to request a telemedicine appointment. Anyone can do so!
What do you need for your appointment?
Before scheduling your telemedicine appointment, please ensure that you have or will have:
- A device capable of making and receiving video calls. A smartphone, tablet, or laptop computer with a webcam and microphone can all do nicely.
- A stable, reliable internet connection.
- The Chrome, Firefox, or Safari browser installed on the device you wish to use. Unfortunately, Internet Explorer and Edge aren’t supported, but all the browsers that are can be downloaded for free.
- A private, quiet, and well-lit location to take the call.
We also recommend having a trusted family member or friend present with you. They can provide assistance or help you take notes as needed.
Is telemedicine covered by insurance?
While telemedicine services have been increasingly covered by insurance companies, the answer depends on your specific provider and plan. With the dynamic landscape we’re currently in, the best way to keep up-to-date with the latest decisions from your provider is to call them.
How can you request your telemedicine appointment?
If you’re ready to request your telemedicine appointment with Dr. Yakel, please complete the form on this page.
A member of our office will follow up with you to schedule your appointment, make sure you have everything you need, and answer any questions you may have.
If you’d prefer, you can also reach out to us directly by phone at (720) 600-3380.
We look forward to serving you—wherever you happen to be!